![]() |
| Earl Turner holding baby daughter, Patty |
Richard Crabtree’s Memories of our
Parents Earl Mason Turner
Sarah
Elaine Parkin Crabtree Turner
The lady who owned the boarding
house was ornery. She seemed to fix
sauerkraut often and I hated it. I
could not leave the table until I cleaned my plate and I hated the sauerkraut so
I would put it in my pocket, leave the table, and then flush it down the
toilet. I must have had some really
stinky jeans.
I did not know how to tie my
shoes. The lady put me out on the steps
and told me I could not come in until I learned how to tie my shoes. I finally did it. I still tie my shoes differently from other
people, but they stay tied.
When our parents married they rented
a little house down the street about a block from Aunt Elva and Uncle
Delbert, my mother's sister and brother-in-law. I remember spending time with
them and their family.
When Earl, my step-father, mustered out of the Army,
he was able to buy an old Army Jeep with a rag top. We drove in that from San Francisco when we
moved to Henderson, Nevada. I remember
the huge trees and driving through one of them. (That must have been Sequoia
National Park)
We arrived in Las Vegas at midnight
and even though it was dark, the neon signs were spectacular. I remember the sign on the Golden Nugget with
the man panning for gold. I was about
eight at the time. We moved into a house
in Henderson and the back yard was desert.
We lived next door to the
Ehrets. Lucille and Mom were good
friends. I do not remember too much about
Charles. There was a family down the
street, the Sullivans, who had a bunch of kids and several were boys. They were my good friends. A neighbor across from them had the prettiest
dog ever. It was a collie.
Mom was a good cook. She tried lots of different foods like frog legs
and artichokes. I remember getting chewed out for my report card. I must not have been a very good student.
Earl’s son, Steve, would come to
visit during the summer from Bakersfield.
He was just younger than I was.
There was an old guy who lived on the Colorado River and panned for
gold. He would come into town to buy
groceries and get gas. He looked like
Gabby Hayes and lived in a cave on the river.
One summer Earl and Steve and I went to see him. We pulled the horse trailer, parked it and
rode the horses in to see him. We stayed
for two or three nights and panned for gold.
The burros would come down to the river at night to drink.
I remember lots of outings in the
boat. Earl would get the boat going
really fast and jump out. He taught me
how to swim. One time he bumped me off
the boat dock and I remember being way under the water. When I came up, Earl was grinning at me. I learned how to swim.
In the summer we would take the Jeep and
chase wild horses across the desert. One
time we hit a hole and I thought Earl would bury the Jeep it was so deep. There were buzzards eating a dead horse and
they did not fly away even when we got near them. They were not giving up their feast.
The day Mom died I was outside
playing with the Sullivan boys. She had
come home from the hospital after having the baby and must have called Earl
that something was wrong. An ambulance
backed up to the back door and then they were gone. I hated the sound of sirens after that.
My dad came and got Judy and me and
we moved back to Salt Lake and lived with Grandma and Grandpa Parkin, my mother's parents. The kids from my school in Henderson made me
a scrapbook and wrote notes to me that they missed me and they were sorry my
mom had died. The teacher sent it to me
in Salt Lake. I still have it.
Crabtree, Richard G. "Knowledge". (West Valley City, Utah)
Crabtree, Richard G. "Knowledge". (West Valley City, Utah)

No comments:
Post a Comment